Thursday, April 30, 2009

Memories of Dubai - 15 years ago

As my family and I were on our way to Mall of Emirates, one of the elite malls here in Dubai, I was struck by a wave of nostalgia. I was transferred back to the days when Dubai was not the Shopper's Paradise or the City of Gold that it is now. In a way, I can say that I have grown up along with the city of Dubai and been a witness to its slow and steady progress over time.

When I think back to the most memorable days that I spent here in Dubai, the following come to mind :


1. Jumeirah Beach Park : My family and I first came here when I was a year old. My fondest memories of Dubai are at the Jumeirah beach ( a gorgeous extension of the Arabian Sea) where we used to go to swim. We would have a lovely time wading through the water, building sandcastles and taking pictures.


2. The Indian High School, Dubai - For me there was simply nothing like IHS. Upto this day, I call myself an IHS graduate with pride. The school library which housed some of the best books ; the smell of freshly cooked food in the canteen; the enthusiastic voice of IHS students in the "Recess Radio Show" - these moments stay fresh in my mind.

Even today when I pass by the school gates my heart skips a beat and I recall fond memories.
This is the place where I made some of my best friends, who are my friends to this day.

What makes my memories at IHS even more special is the experience of topping CBSE in Marketing. It felt good to leave an indelible mark at IHS - the school that meant and always will mean a great deal to me!

3. Channel 33 : It was the year 1989-1990, at the time the only channel that broadcast Hindi films on a Thursday night (Friday being a holiday here) was Channel 33. I remember watching some of the best movies in that channel along with my family. During the week the channel would broadcast some of the best serials of "yesteryear" like Bold and Beautiful, Dallas and Beverly Hills 90210.


4. Al Ghurair Center : The only mall here in Dubai 15 years ago. It was our primary hangout over the weekends. Considered one of the best places to shop, Al Ghurair Center was the "Dubai Mall" of those times :)

5. Dubai - Abu Dhabi drive: I used to look forward to our fortnightly drives to Abu Dhabi. Unlike today, it would take well over 2 hours to reach Abu Dhabi but the experience of getting ready for the long drive was what was memorable. Stacked with packs of koki (a "sindhi" speciality) , the addictive "Mr Krisps" Cheeseballs, walkmans (there were no ipods at the time) and audio cassettes, we would be all set for the trip.

And no, those days there was never the problem of traffic on the roads and no "Salik" (Toll) either ;)


6. Fujairah Mountains : We used to drive up to the Fujairah Mountains. The spectacular view of the sea on one side and the mountains on the other, between Khorfakkan and Dibba ( the 2 towns near Fujairah) is something that should be experienced by everyone who comes to Dubai!

Another lovely place was the oases located at the Hatta Wadis.




7. Safa Park/Mushrif Park : The ideal hangout for a picnic during winters! Along with 3-4 families we would go to the only parks in Dubai ; Safa and Mushrif Park. These were the only days that we could afford to play sports. Rainfall (a rarity in dubai) and winter was something we would always look forward to.

8. Young times : I used to wait for Tuesday so that I could buy the latest copy of Young Times - a popular children's magazine still going strong here in Dubai. I remember how excited I was the first time my letter got published in the "letter to the editor" section!

9. Dad's Bleep/Pager : Here in Dubai, Cell phones were rare in the year 1990. We would page dad while he was at work on his pager or his "bleep" as we used to call it.

10. Falcon Roundabout : Now replaced by a signal, there was a statue of an actual falcon at the roundabout near our place which looked spectacular!


11. Burj Al Arab : And last but not the least, the Burj Al Arab is one of the most magnificent creations I have ever come across. Made to resemble the sail of a boat, it was at the time one of the most expensive hotels in the world. The hotel looked the most alluring at night when it changed colours.




But the one thing that has not changed, that has remained the same beautiful place that it has always been is..... my house here in Dubai!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic narrations and beautiful blog writing. Keep it up Dear
    with Lot's of love
    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane. Was in IHS too, left after 10th in '94 and keep on visiting DXB once a year ever since.
    Yes, it has changed so much from what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete